One of the funniest things that I have found about the modern unbelieving movement is 1) their constant claim that we should have evidence before we believe anything, or 2) their often-heard pronouncement that sound arguments are needed to warrant holding a particular belief, or 3) their repeated sermons about following reason wherever it leads, or 4) their endless refrains about the fact that we have a duty to seek the truth no matter what the consequences of the truth may be, and so on and so forth, and yet the reason that I find all these claims and assertions humorous is not because I deny their value and worth as ideas–in fact, I wholeheartedly endorse them–but I find them humorous when coming from unbelievers and atheists precisely because they are coming from unbelievers and atheists themselves, and the reason that this fact is humorous is because in an ultimately purposeless and meaningless universe, as it would be on atheism, and at least when speaking objectively and in absolute terms, we have no “duty” or requirement to believe things on evidence, or on arguments, nor must we or “should” we, in some objective sense, endorse reason or seek the truth, for, on atheism, there is no purpose in this universe that makes us do so, and note that even if a consequentialist-type argument is made to try to convince us to endorse these things in a purposeless atheistic universe, that argument will only work if we care about the consequences in question, which is not always the case, and so, when the atheist and unbeliever is telling us that we should do all these things, he is, in essence, doing no more than subjectively emoting, and in a purposeless universe, his claim that we should believe true things rather than false things, or that we should follow the evidence rather than not, is about as convincing, and about as valuable, as him telling us that he likes chocolate ice cream over vanilla, and that we should like chocolate over vanilla too (and this, needless to say, is not a convincing argument); and perhaps the greatest irony of this whole issue is that it is only on something like the Christian worldview that believing truth, and following evidence, and using reason, ultimately and truly and objectively matters, for if God, who is Truth itself, exists and wants / requires all people to come to know of His existence and nature through the things that have been made, and also forbids us to lie–all of which is the case on Christian theism– then all these things mean that on something like Christian theism, we should follow the evidence of our senses, and we should believe true things over false things, and we should use our reason to discover God’s nature through the natural order, and so on, and thus it is the Christian who can objectively claim that we indeed have a duty and should follow the evidence where it leads, and seek and believe the truth, and have reasons for our beliefs, whereas all the atheist can do is advise us of his subjective preferences about these matters, and yet these subjective preferences can be as easily ignored as the atheist’s subjective preferences about ice cream, cars, and Barbie dolls.
Unbelievers often scoff and mock that Christians follow, as these unbelievers say, Bronze or Iron Age beliefs written down by ignorant peasants and superstitious persons thousands of years ago in a no longer relevant book called the Bible, and by using these pejorative and chronologically-snobby labels for the foundational of Christian belief, the unbelievers are obviously trying to imply that Christians are fools for holding to these antiquated ideas, but, in fact, the truth, in many cases, is the exact opposite of what such unbelievers believe, for the fact of the matter is this: in this present age, where 1) we have modern academics and “thinkers” telling us that men can become women by mere verbal fiat, and where 2) we have modern academics and “thinkers”, such as modern ethicists, endorsing infanticide and bestiality and incestuous marriage, and where 3) we have modern academic and “thinkers” telling us that something can come from nothing, or that language is meaningless, or that morality does not exist, or that consciousness and the self just illusions, or that there actually is such a thing as equality in the world between people, or any one of the other myriad of absurd and reality-denying claims made in the modern world today, then I tell you that, in many cases, I am more than happy, and I am more than rational, in preferring to believe the common-sense and time-tested wisdom of reality-hardened men from generations long past than I am in trusting some modern gender-studies professor or some “ethicist” who tells me that shagging sheep is A-OK; remember, truth does not respect chronology, and just because it is 2016 does not mean that we do not have many things insanely wrong, and it is for that reason that in many cases, I am more than happy and smart to embrace Bronze Age beliefs rather than wedding myself to the insanities of our present age.
Our Lord, the Second Person of the Most Blessed and Holy Trinity, tells us, in His scriptures, that the “meek shall inherit the Earth”, and though this idea many be wrongly perceived by many today as promoting human weakness and craven submissiveness, this is, in fact, completely wrong, for the Lord Himself, who inherits the Earth and all of creation from His Father, shows us what meekness means, and that meekness is not weakness, but rather it is serious strength wrapped in submissiveness to an appropriate and moral authority who is worthy of obedience, and indeed, we see this in Christ Himself who, though powerful enough to easily prevent His own death–in fact, powerful enough to utterly annihilate those wishing to destroy Him–nevertheless willing and freely withheld that strength from expression on Earth given that doing so was the desire of God the Father, and thus Christ was meek and submissive to the Father in order for the Father to be able to fulfill His will through Christ, but in no way was this meek Christ weak, and so it is for us, for we must be strong against the sins of men and yet meek, and thus submissive, to the will of God, and in doing so, we, the meek towards God, but not towards men, shall inherit the Earth; and note that if history is any guide, it certainly seems that Christ was correct, for the Christian faith has now touched all corners of the Earth and is the numerically strongest faith on this Earth, and furthermore today, in the parts of the world where Christians are meek towards God and faithful to Him–in places such as Africa and China–Christianity is growing and thus literally inheriting more and more of the Earth, but in places were Christian have been meek towards the rules of men and rebellious against the rules of God, they are arguable losing their Earthly inheritance, both demographically and culturally…which is what would be expected if the “meek are to inherit the Earth”.
Meek to God, not meek man
It is fascinating to ponder why Jesus Christ, the Second Person of the Most Blessed and Holy Trinity, would choose fishermen and fools to be His messengers and spreaders of the Gospel message, and thus it is a wonder to wonder why this was done, and yet when one thinks about it from the perspective of showing the power of Christ and the truth of Christianity, it is actually easy to realize why Christ chose the low-level bumpkins and blue-collar commoners that He did to articulate His message to the world, for the fact is, had Christ chosen men of great power and means and money and persuasiveness to spread His message, then it would be rather easy to dismiss the survival and rise of early Christianity to human means rather than to divine ones, but given that Christianity–that religion which was foolishness to Greeks and repulsive to Jews–did survive and thrive even though spread by poor and uneducated commoners, and though it did so against the expectations of what we would think would happen for such a religion if said religion was only a human-made invention spread by mere fishermen and tradesmen, then the fact is that the very reason that Christ did choose such people as His representatives is because in doing so, and in knowing that they would succeed in spreading His message even though having every obstacle against them and no human power to achieve their aim, then the fact that they so succeeded would serve as at least some reason to see that their success could not come about simply by human hands, but that it needed the power of the Almighty behind it to make it work; and so, Christ’s selection of the earthly weak rather than the humanly strong as His Gospel-bearers was a deliberate act meant to show us and give us a reason to see that the Gospel message, if not supported by the power of God Himself, should not have succeeded in being heard, and yet since it was, then this latter fact is at least some reason to accept that message as being a true message from God (and, for example, contrast this with Islam, which did, in large part, gain its foothold as a surviving and thriving religion through the use of the earthly power of sword and steel, and which had men motivated both by heavenly and earthly rewards of booty and bounty, unlike Christ’s apostles, who, in this life, were promised pain and death).
In our society and culture, where Jesus is often portrayed in a relatively weak and unmanly way–often shown as embracing young children, or displayed with almost effeminate mannerisms, and thereby being, in a way, not really displayed in a manner that is overly attractive to men given men’s propensity to follow strength and courage–one of the things that our modern society, and especially men in our modern society, and especially non-Christian men in our modern society not exactly impressed by the modern portrayals of Jesus, all too often forget is that Jesus was actually a “man’s man”, so to speak, and He was one tough son-of-a-&$%^* as well, for we must remember that this is the same Jesus who, on His own accord, fashioned up a weapon, kicked ass, and single-handedly drove the money-changers out of a temple, and He is a man who made the Devil himself leave in anger, and Jesus is the man who even girded up His loins and willingly went to be tortured and killed in order to achieve His aims, not even lifting a finger to stop what He could have stopped in a second; now that is power, and that is will, and that is strength, and that is a type of manliness rarely seen today, and so when we think of Jesus, and when we seek to emulate Him, we must not only be emulating ‘Jesus the meek and mild’, but we must also remember to follow the Jesus of an iron-will who willingly embraced his own horrid death with more courage than Socrates and as much strength as a gladiator…and to any non-Christian or even Christian men who are turned off of the Christ due to His alleged weakness and timidity, I suggest that you truly think about the strength and courage o Christ, and you should remember not to mistake willing submission to pain and death for the purpose of accomplishing one’s mission as a weakness, but rather as the ultimate strength, for the accomplishment of one’s mission, even on pain of death, is what every true man seeks to do in this life, and since Jesus accomplished His mission even though doing so meant willingly and freely embracing pain unimaginable by any mortal man (all the sin and pain of the world in one moment in time), then, men, please realize that Jesus is not only a God-man, but He is actually the ultimate man’s man as well, and He is someone that all men should follow.
In our modern age, in this, the twentieth and sixteen year of our Lord, it is time that we traditional Christians in the West stop kidding ourselves and realize that the attacks that we face from both liberal leftist “Christians” and the secular progressive liberal left against our common-sense morality and orthodox ethical views are not, primarily, done for the purpose of seeking equality, or fighting against discrimination, or seeking tolerance, for what these attacks are primarily targeted at is our Christianity itself, and these attacks against our Christianity are thus meant to be insidiously couched in more pleasant language about toleration and diversity and so on, in order to lull us to sleep while the enemy strikes, and while I do not contend that this is necessarily some type of concerted or coordinated or conspiratorial effort in this case, it is still nevertheless true that these are attacks against orthodox Christian theism, and the way that we can know this to be true is quite simple, for consider the following truths:
1. We see liberal progressive leftists actively seek out and target Christian bakers, or florists, or whatnot in an effort to be able to bring cultural and societal sanctions against these people, but we do not see one iota of effort from the same people in seeking out Muslim or Orthodox Jewish businesses that would refuse the same services as the Christian parties do;
2. After every Muslim terror attack, we hear calls from the left not to be ‘Islamophobic’ and that not all Muslims are like that and that, most likely, the attack was “somehow” caused by the far-right, and that the worse thing would be an anti-Muslim backlash, and yet when some Catholic priests are convicted of sexual abuse, there is no cry to avoid ‘Catholicophobia’, and no calls not to paint all priests as abusers, and no attempts at making excuses, but rather, the progressives actively and joyously use the sexual abuse crisis as a stick with which to beat the Catholic Church as a whole, something that they would never do with Muslims (just like when a Muslim causes an attack, the left tries to avoid mentioning his religion for as long as possible, but if a “Christian” or “right-winger” causes an attack, it is almost the first thing mentioned, and it is repeated over and over and over again);
3. Progressive feminists, who, under the law, enjoy full equality in the formerly Christian West, spend inordinate amounts of time whining and complaining about the most idiotic and minor things that happen in Western societies while not only ignoring the horrors against women that occur elsewhere in the world, such as in Muslim countries, but even covering up for crimes against women committed by these other ‘victim groups’;
4. History and facts are utterly distorted by leftist progressives in order to make what was formerly Christendom and Western Civilization and Western culture seem abhorrent and horrendous, when, in reality, the West’s sins were absolutely no greater than those of any other culture, and were arguably much less so, and were also readily offset by the great cultural and political benefits that the West brought to the rest of the world which no other culture did;
5. We see leftist progressive politicians and businesses in the West condemn and refuse to do business in areas and states that enact laws to protect Christians from secular progressive discrimination, and yet, all the while, these politicians and businesses are happy to do business in countries that are actively and horrendously hostile to progressive ideas and ideals (China, Sauda Arabia, Turkey, Cuba, Iran, etc.) and yet which also just happen to persecute Christians too, so so long as Christians are somehow receiving the lash–both literally and figuratively–these progressive politicians and businesses are happy;
6. While secular progressives are happy to attack crosses in public spaces or prayer in schools due to the need for the ‘separation of church and state’, they dutifully ignore Muslim segregation of girls and boys in schools while they are literally praying in schools and ignore the chanting from minarets across all public spaces, just to name a few issues of this sort;
7. While Christians are routinely harassed and stopped and punished under hate speech laws enacted and enforced by progressives in the West, these laws, strangely, never seem to be used by progressives against Muslim hate-preachers or secular bigots, but mainly against orthodox Christians;
8. While progressives will claim that criticism of Islam or other non-Western religions is racist–a claim which is non-sensical to begin with–they would laugh if you called their criticism of Christianity racist or discriminatory;
9. Finally, while we see leftist progressives talk about aiding the needy and helping the destitute, we almost never hear them speak about the fact that the most persecuted victim group in the world are ‘Christians’, for Christians the world over are harmed and killed by their non-Christian country-men more so than any other religious group, and yet about this, you will rarely hear the left make a sound;
…and so, it is for reasons like these, and others, that we can reasonably come to believe that the progressive left is not aiming at using social tools for a “better” world, but rather, they use their power to seek a world without traditional Christianity, but of course, to the progressive left, those two things are synonymous, and the sooner Christians realize this, the better.
Unbelievers and atheists often like to label themselves as skeptics and free-thinkers, and indeed, in our modern era the words ‘skeptic’ and ‘free-thinkers’ are almost taken as being synonymous with unbelief, and yet the ironic thing is that I would argue that some Christians are at least as skeptical and free-thinking, and arguably even more so–in fact, arguably much more so–than any typical theistic unbeliever, for take me, for example, a Christian immaterialist, who doubts the actual exists of matter based on my free-thinking, and then compare this doubt to the doubt shown by your average self-professed modern skeptic and you will thus see that in terms of really being skeptical about certain uncritical beliefs that most people accept (such as the existence of matter), someone like a Christian immaterialist truly is more skeptical and free-thinking than a professional skeptic; and so, the point of this point is to simply note that not only can a Christian, not to mention a general theistic immaterialist, be a skeptic and free-thinker, but he can be a mite bit more skeptical and freely-thinking than the unbeliever who calls himself a “skeptic”.